F. Scott Fitzgerald said,


"There are no second acts in American lives."


Most people think he was crazy.















Sunday, January 9, 2011

Is it a comeback if you never really left?

Unless you've been on vacation somewhere outside the scope of this particular planet, you know that change is in the air. Oprah is leaving her talk show to build her own network. (In case you are not aware, this is a promotion, folks. It's like me jumping to school superintendent, which is not a job I would ever---even for a million dollars--want. Okay, I'm lying. I would do it for a million dollars. I would probably do it for a hundred thousand dollars, because I can, indeed, be bought.)

It seems as though half of Obama's staff has left or is leaving, even though that's not exactly true--just a few of his key players, and that's probably to be expected, given that working in the White House has got to be a tough, stressful, tiring job.

But what I'm most interested in right now are the "comebacks." Some of these we're delighted to see (Betty White and Valerie Bertinelli) and some probably should have stayed gone (whooping cough and bedbugs). Any way you look at it, comebacks are making a comeback.

In pondering these comebacks, I'm interested in what these folks experienced in the interim---the time they laid low when they were no longer in the spotlight. I'm sure the bulk of them did the things we all do--shopped for groceries, went to the mall, walked the dog, and cooked hamburgers on the grill. Ex-famous folks undoubtedly have an adjustment to make from famous to not-so-famous, and I'm sure some of them live the rest of their lives trying to be famous again.

What about, instead of a comeback, a second act?

That's what I'm hoping to explore in my next life--my own Second Act.

No comments:

Post a Comment