F. Scott Fitzgerald said,


"There are no second acts in American lives."


Most people think he was crazy.















Tuesday, January 18, 2011

If it's Tuesday, This Must Be Stepford

I have often said, if you look at my life from outside my circle, it looks perfect.
Yep. Sheer perfection.

Perfect family...perfect house...perfect job...perfect wardrobe...not even a single gray hair!

So what's wrong with this picture?

Nothing, if you want to live in Stepford.

Stepford is fine for some women. They like being part of a life that guarantees a certain level of comfort and consistency without any pesky surprises. For twenty-five years I was willing to go through the motions--important motions, but motions nevertheless. Then, when my youngest left home (for Philly, of all the godforsaken places), I thought "Is that it? Is that all there is?"

I want the answer to be "no."

I want there to be surprises. Even if I have to make them myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment