F. Scott Fitzgerald said,


"There are no second acts in American lives."


Most people think he was crazy.















Friday, January 21, 2011

I've got a New Attitude

Believe it or not, there is a website dedicated to my former self:

http://www.stepfordwife.com/index.html

...and whether you are one, want to be one, or---like me---are a recovering one, you have to admit the mindset is difficult to attain. It's also a difficult one to shake, once acquired.

As far as I know, there aren't any 12-step programs for recovering Stepfords. So, in order to move forward in my own life, I had to design my own detox. I found that it didn't take twelve, just three, but that last step was a doozy.

These are the 'steps':
1. Admit that you have a problem. This shouldn't be hard--being submissive should be second nature.
2. Spend time each day doing something that isn't house/husband/kid related. (I got a job. Guess what? Someone actually wanted to pay me for my time and energy!)
3. Quit caring what other people think. (This is incredibly difficult for Stepfords to do. After all, their whole image is based on other folks' perception.)

Remember, the world is your oyster--you just have to shuck it!

No comments:

Post a Comment